Quantcast
erienewsnow.com 09 Jan, 2022 14:45 am

Lithium-ion battery sparks apartment building fire in the Bronx - Erie News Now

Lithium-ion battery sparks apartment building fire in the Bronx - Erie News Now
By Liam Reilly, CNN

News Lithium-ion battery sparks apartment building fire in the Bronx Sunday, January 9th 2022, 7:43 AM EST Updated: Sunday, January 9th 2022, 9:13 AM EST FDNY By Liam Reilly, CNN A lithium-ion battery in an electric bike or scooter self-combusted in a Bronx apartment building, sparking a four-alarm fire early Saturday morning, according to the Fire Department of New York (FDNY).New York City Fire Marshals determined the initial flames were caused by a lithium-ion battery that burst into flames in a restaurant on the ground floor of the building, according to the FDNY."The important part is that it was the lithium-ion battery that caused it while charging an electronic device.In response to the rising number of fires caused by e-bikes -- which the FDNY asserts is a cause it had never seen until 2021-- the FDNY has created safety videos and podcasts instructing the public on proper lithium-ion battery handling and has shared safe-practice guidelines for charging rechargeable batteries used in e-bikes.

" More than 100 fires were caused by e-bikes in 2021, resulting in 79 injuries and four deaths, according to the FDNY.All rights reserved.

Read full story at erienewsnow.com