World Socialist Web Site wsws.org 26 Mar, 2021 06:00 am

Inadequate isolation measures in Papua New Guinea as COVID-19 surges

Inadequate isolation measures in Papua New Guinea as COVID-19 surges
The limited measures enacted by the Papua New Guinea government and local powers, Australia and New Zealand, do nothing to address the emerging health and social disaster.

Jonathan Pryke, of Australia’s Lowy Institute, told the Sydney Morning Herald that residents in Port Moresby are now regularly hearing “house cries” as people mourn the death of loved ones.The state-owned Ok Tedi corporation began a two-week suspension at its copper mine in the Western Province, the hardest hit area outside the capital Port Moresby.National Doctors Association Secretary Sam Yockopua told local media that 35 doctors at PNG’s main hospital, Port Moresby General, have tested positive for COVID-19.Port Moresby’s Rita Flynn gymnasium is now being used as an extra COVID ward, but it only has a 43-bed capacity.

5 million) provided in coronavirus support, a NZ Defence Force flight was last week sent to Port Moresby with supplies and emergency equipment for just 1,000 patients.Amid a surge of coronavirus cases, the Papua New Guinea (PNG) government implemented a nationwide isolation strategy on March 21.

Read full story at wsws.org