Quantcast
walesonline.co.uk 14 Sep, 2021 11:00 am

Horses fall seriously ill after eating potentially lethal grass cuttings dumped in fields

Horses fall seriously ill after eating potentially lethal grass cuttings dumped in fields
Grass cuttings can be deadly to horses

p Show me A horse owner is urging people not to dump grass cuttings into fields after her animals were diagnosed with life-threatening conditions.Laura Grant's pony and horse, Chewie and Billy, which she owns with her daughter, fell ill after she claims someone put garden rubbish and grass cuttings in the field in Talcarn Farm, Trimsaran where the animals roam.Laura said: "People need to be made aware of the dangers dumping garden waste especially grass cuttings." Read more: Ninety horses found living amongst rotting faeces and bucket of dead rats at Welsh farm Laura says grass cuttings can cause horses and ponies to develop potentially life-threatening colic further along the digestive system or a painful condition called laminitis that affects their hooves.

With grass cuttings the animals can eat large quantities without chewing.Laura added: "Sadly these two animals are very friendly and very greedy and made use of the dumped grass cuttings before we even saw them.

Read full story at walesonline.co.uk