Quantcast
Newsday newsday.com 11 Jan, 2022 23:00 am

Electric heaters can be 'very dangerous in the wrong hands,' fire expert says

Electric heaters can be 'very dangerous in the wrong hands,' fire expert says
Electric space heaters — the type which malfunctioned in the Bronx last weekend, killing 17 people, including eight children — can be extremely dangerous when faulty or not operated carefully, Long Is

i pShare Tweet Email Electric space heaters — the type which malfunctioned in the Bronx last weekend, killing 17 people, including eight children — can be extremely dangerous when faulty or not operated carefully, Long Island fire safety officials said Tuesday." Michael Uttaro, Nassau's chief fire marshal, said roughly a dozen fires each year in the county are caused by space heaters, most often when they're plugged into a power strip or kept too close to flammable items.Space heaters, which sell for less than $50 in most major hardware stores, account for 44% of all home heating equipment fires and for the majority of injuries and deaths in home fires caused by heating equipment, according to the National Fire Protection Agency."Space heaters are a tool people use to supplement the heating in their home," said Pat Beckley, acting commissioner of the Suffolk County Department of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Services.

" John Murray, chief instructor at the Nassau Fire Education Center, said space heaters can be a "time bomb" when used incorrectly.He warns against plugging space heaters into an extension cord or power strip; leaving them on overnight or keeping them within 3 feet of combustible items such as curtains, bedding or furniture.

Read full story at newsday.com