thenews.com.pk 20 Sep, 2020 05:00 am

Afghan ministry claims 30 Taliban killed in air strikes

Afghan ministry claims 30 Taliban killed in air strikes
KABUL: The Afghan air force conducted multiple strikes on Taliban positions Saturday that killed more than 30 insurgent fighters, officials said, as President Ashraf Ghani once again called for a...

The Taliban claimed the strike had killed nearly two dozen civilians including women and children in the latest mass-casualty incident in Afghanistan that came even as peace talks were under way in Qatar."The insurgents have so far ignored such requests, though they have unilaterally called two short, separate truces this year in the run-up to peace talks, which opened a week ago in Doha."This morning, Taliban fighters attacked (Afghan army) positions in Khan Abad district in Kunduz province," the Defence Ministry said in a statement on Twitter.The defence ministry said it was aware of the claim and would investigate.

Top Story September 20, 2020 KABUL: The Afghan air force conducted multiple strikes on Taliban positions Saturday that killed more than 30 insurgent fighters, officials said, as President Ashraf Ghani once again called for a ceasefire.The attack came shortly before Ghani once again called for a humanitarian ceasefire "to protect our people, prevent violence and terrorist incidents and to achieve a dignified and lasting peace.

Read full story at thenews.com.pk